Scottwire.com | Contact

Instant Bankroll - Start playing poker for free!

« Home | Warm Up » | June Report » | Poker podcasts » | Quick Update » | The Challenge » | Try Try Again » | Dream Poker » | 20k » | Going Nowhere Fast » | The week that was » 

Tuesday, July 11, 2006 

WSOP Report - Event 17 - $1000 NL Holdem

2891 entries. 270 players get paid.

Almost a 3 million dollar prize pool.

The room could only support about 200 tables with 11 players at each table, so about 600 of those entries were alternates who came in as players got knocked out.

We started at noon. At my first table, there was no one of note which was nice. A few pros were at tables near me.

LEVEL 1 - 25/25 blinds, LEVEL 2 25/50 blinds
----------------------
I pretty much just waited for good hands and my stack which started at 1500 chips just fluctuated between 1200 and 1800 for the first hour.

LEVEL 3 - 50/100 blinds
-----------------------
My first confrontation came in the second hour when I was down to about 1000 chips at the 50/100 blind level and I found QJs in middle position. I raise to 300 and the button calls. Flop comes Q42 and I push my last 700. Button folds.
I don't see any good hands for a while and I get blinded back down to about 1400 or so. This time I find TT and raise to 300. Button calls again. Flop QT4. BINGO, I hit my set. I lead out 500, she calls. Turn is a 9. I put the rest of my chips in the pot and she folds. I have about 2500 chips now.

LEVEL 4 - 100/200 blinds
-----------------------
I'm in middle position with J-J, and I raise it up to 700 and the button calls again. The flop is J-8-9. I bet out 1,000, she pushed all-in to 2000, and I call. She turns over A-10 for an open ended straight draw and on the turn got more outs with the flush draw but she never hit and my set holds up. That built his stack to around 5,400.

I then raised with A-J, got one caller, Q42 flop. He checks, I bet 1000 and he folds.

LEVEL 5 - 100/200 blinds with 25 ante
-----------------------
Going nowhere fast, no cards and just getting blinded off. The guy to my left gets knocked out and in his place they move the winner of Event #2, Brandon Cantu.


LEVEL 6 - 150/300 blinds with 25 ante
-----------------------
Still bleeding chips, going nowhere. Ted Forrest is moved to my table 2 seats to my right. He gets in a huge pot with the player to my right and Brandon Cantu on my left. All 3 players end up going all in and Ted knocks them both out. A few hands later, I get moved to a new table where Humberto Brenes is now 2 seats to my right.

Right before dinner break, I raise AJo UTG and pick up all the blinds and my stack stands about 3700.

LEVEL 7 - 200/400 blinds with 50 ante
-------------------------------------
I got really lucky when a short stack pushed and I picked up AA in the big blind. I went from 3700 to almost 8000 I think. The guy was on a blind steal and called my reraise with J8o.

A couple of hands later it folded around to Humberto Brenes who raised to 1200 (200/400 blinds 50ante). I find JJ in the CO and ihatejacks on my mind so I just called hoping not to see an ace or king on the flop.

Flop comes QT4 rainbow.
Humberto checks, I check.

Turn 7, he bets 2100, I call.

River K.
He checks, I check. He has ace high and I take the pot.

I'm now over 10k chips and they break the table a couple of hands later.

LEVEL 8 - 300/600 blinds with 75 ante
------------------------
After a couple of rounds at the new table, I took blinds/antes with a couple of big hands and then called with 77 against an UTG raiser who check folded to me on a TT8 flop.

At this point I have 14k chips and then I forget to raise once in a while. I was having a hard time pulling the trigger raising to 2000 with junk to try to steal blinds. And I was truly getting junk. During this stretch, the one time I actually had 2 high cards was when there 2 all ins in front of me.

I bled off blinds and antes for a few rounds and was down to about 8500 chips at the 10pm break. About 305 players left.

LEVEL 9 - 400/800 blinds with 100 ante
--------------------------
I bought blinds a few hands in with AA.

Then around 11pm they make the announcement that we were IN THE MONEY and there was much rejoicing.

Unfortunately, I made two suspect plays shortly thereafter and I was done around 11:15pm

I got AQo UTG and instead of pushing or folding, I raised to 3000. CO calls. Flop 986 all spades. I check, he pushes all in and I fold. He shows 54 of clubs. Sad. So that was mistake one.

A couple of hands later guy in late position who was pushing all in once or twice each round did so again. He had me slightly covered. I look down in the SB and saw 99 and figured I had to call and he shows AA and I was done in 237th place for a nice $1,578 win.

When I was in line to get the cash, Ted Forrest got knocked out shortly thereafter. The guys in front of me were all enjoying the fact that the guy plays 4k/8k and super high stakes games and he's standing in line with the rest of us (for almost an hour) to collect his $1578. Good times.

I was hoping to make it to day 2 but I am very happy with the way I played and making the money.

YAY! Thank you PokerShare for having those extra seat added tournaments!

MikeJ from PSO and Riverrun27 from the forums played as well as alternates but unfortunately only lasted a couple of hours.

Thanks to dlk9s and Riverrun27 for sweating me most of the day. It was nice having a cheering section :)

Congrats on the cash.

Post a Comment

  • NL = No Limit Holdem
  • PLO = Pot Limit Omaha
  • CP = Crazy Pineapple
  • TD = Triple Draw
  • UTG = Under the Gun (first to act)
  • MP = Middle Position
  • LP = Late Position
  • CO = CutOff (one before the button)

About me

  • I'm Scottwire
  • From NJ
  • Hi there. I started this blog mainly to keep track of how I'm doing playing poker as well as to vent, share my thoughts and feelings, and allow friends and family to follow along. Thanks to everyone following along whether I know you or not. About me - I am currently a web developer who is trying to become a successful Entrepreneur with my wife. We love to travel and are trying to become successful enough to do that as we please :) That's us in a nutshell.
My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates