Scottwire.com | Contact

Instant Bankroll - Start playing poker for free!

« Home | Up and down and all around » | My WSOP memento » | ECD experience » | Befuddled » | Vegas Trip Report » | WSOP Report - Event 17 - $1000 NL Holdem » | Warm Up » | June Report » | Poker podcasts » | Quick Update » 

Monday, July 31, 2006 

The roller coaster continues

Don't get me wrong, I'm up and happy to be so. Variance is at its finest though.

Saturday I was +40. Then I was -30. Then I was -90. Then I was -40. -60. -10. +40. Until I finally ended the day -10.

I played 3 tournaments the last few days. Bubbled in the first two, each time getting knocked out when I was a 70/30 favorite.

Thursday night at the Pokerstars Chiptalk tourney, I got to the final table and with 8 of us left I have KK. I raise 3xBB get called by the big blind. Flop is 732 or something like that. Big blind pushes all in and i call. He has A9. of course the Ace comes and I get knocked out. Won $26 minus my $11 buy-in.

Saturday night I played a $5 tourney with $250 added. 26 people and top 3 get paid. There are three of us left and the blinds are 400/800 and I have 9k chips, other guys have 14k and 8k. I push 88 on the button. Big blind who is chip leader calls with 77. The river brings the 7 and I'm out in 3rd place. I won $78 but still I should have been on my way to first.

Oh well.

I don't really have time but I was thinking about challenges and with the WSOP and both pokerstars and full tilt doing $200 buyin tourneys for series type events, maybe I could start one of my own. My idea is to start with a bankroll of like $50 or $100 and play in 10 $5 or $10 tournaments.

Do something like
4 NL
1 Limit Holdem
1 stud
1 stud hi/lo
1 omaha
1 omaha hi/lo
1 horse

The idea is then to hopefully win enough to move up a level and try it again.

Granted it will be a lot harder as multi table tournaments are extremely high variance. It sounds like something that could be fun though. Maybe assign rankings to the finishes and you can compare to future ones you do or maybe even with other people. What do you guys out there think?

As for my other challenge, I'm up close to 400 now on Titan and doing well at 100NL. let's hope that continues. Until next time, may the flop be with you!

When I read about your KK getting called and losing to an Ace-9 it brings back some awful memories. You end up replaying that hand in your head over and over. What if I would have pushed? Or what if my bet would have been slightly bigger? Or would it have been better to see a flop to see if an Ace comes up first?

Ya, you just never know what would have happened. I'm personally in favor of chasing out those players with marginal hands who have a slight chance to outdraw me before the flop. A 3X bet is nothing in most games I've seen. All it says to most players is "oh i'm 1st to open so I better do it with a raise". Now a 4.5-6.0x raise will say a bit more. But don't just do it with primo hands - do it more often with any hand you'll be raising with. Ya, you may end up winning a few more low pots that way, but you may also avoid getting out drawn by weaker hands. It's a toss up. Try a 4x raise new time. The Ace-9 may not have called (unless he's a much bigger stack with nothing much to lose).

Post a Comment

  • NL = No Limit Holdem
  • PLO = Pot Limit Omaha
  • CP = Crazy Pineapple
  • TD = Triple Draw
  • UTG = Under the Gun (first to act)
  • MP = Middle Position
  • LP = Late Position
  • CO = CutOff (one before the button)

About me

  • I'm Scottwire
  • From NJ
  • Hi there. I started this blog mainly to keep track of how I'm doing playing poker as well as to vent, share my thoughts and feelings, and allow friends and family to follow along. Thanks to everyone following along whether I know you or not. About me - I am currently a web developer who is trying to become a successful Entrepreneur with my wife. We love to travel and are trying to become successful enough to do that as we please :) That's us in a nutshell.
My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates