Scottwire.com | Contact

Instant Bankroll - Start playing poker for free!

« Home | Sabina Gadecki » | Thank you PSO » | Tournaments » | What were they thinking? » | Slowly creeping back » | Off Track Again » | Back on track » | April Report » | Rebuy? » | 2k » 

Thursday, May 18, 2006 

Tournament Pocket Overpair in multiway pot

Ok today I will discuss what is one of my biggest problems. I limp with medium pairs 88-JJ often when there are already limpers behind me. I think to myself, hit the set or get out. I assume an A, K or Q is going to hit the flop. Then the board comes 3 undercards and I have a brain fart.

Here is my hand in question from last night's $11 Rebuy and Addon on Pokerstars:

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (9 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from http://www.flopturnriver.comFlopTurnRiver.com (Format: Plain Text)

UTG (t8850)
UTG+1 (t10650)
MP1 (t10373)
MP2 (t6800)
MP3 (t13775)
Hero (t5350)
Button (t11265)
SB (t3315)
BB (t10850)

Preflop: Hero is CO with Ts, Td.
1 fold, UTG+1 calls t200, 2 folds, MP3 calls t200, Hero calls t200, 1 fold, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (t1000) 8s, 7d, 6c (5 players)
SB checks, BB checks, UTG+1 checks, MP3 bets t1000, *****

Now let's analyze.

I have an overpair and an inside straight draw.
5 players in the pot.
Anyone could have T9, 87, 76, 66, 77, 88.

Other possible holdings are 98, 97 maybe a couple other weak hands?

So all signs point to my tens not being good. Someone could already have a straight. So what do I do?

******


Hero raises to t5150, SB folds, BB folds, UTG+1 folds, MP3 calls t4150.

Turn: (t11300) 8h (2 players)

River: (t11300) Jc (2 players)

Final Pot: t11300

Results below:
MP3 has 7h 7c (full house, sevens full of eights).
Hero has Ts Td (two pair, tens and eights).
Outcome: MP3 wins t11300.

Overpairs are not the nuts and I have to drill it through my head. Multitabling at the time didn't help either. I'll get it right next time.


  • NL = No Limit Holdem
  • PLO = Pot Limit Omaha
  • CP = Crazy Pineapple
  • TD = Triple Draw
  • UTG = Under the Gun (first to act)
  • MP = Middle Position
  • LP = Late Position
  • CO = CutOff (one before the button)

About me

  • I'm Scottwire
  • From NJ
  • Hi there. I started this blog mainly to keep track of how I'm doing playing poker as well as to vent, share my thoughts and feelings, and allow friends and family to follow along. Thanks to everyone following along whether I know you or not. About me - I am currently a web developer who is trying to become a successful Entrepreneur with my wife. We love to travel and are trying to become successful enough to do that as we please :) That's us in a nutshell.
My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates