Scottwire.com | Contact

Instant Bankroll - Start playing poker for free!

« Home | swingy day » | Ok back into the bread and butter » | Motivation » | hi riverrun » | poker haiku » | Downswing fun » | November Report » | The ups and downs » | Moving up not going well » | Chiptalk.net tourney win » 

Sunday, August 03, 2008 

Aggression is key

So the 2+2 thread here really reminded me of how key aggression is.

When I started playing NL again a few days ago, I slipped back into my old passive ways. I was calling with marginal hands out of the BB to defend and then check folding. I was calling a lot of hands in position trying outplay people post flop but not really pushing people out of hands. And i was definitely not opening enough pots from the CO and button.

And as the graph below shows, I have really been losing a lot when not getting to showdown. This says I wasn't buying enough pots, firing second barrels, raising people off medium weak hands and definitely not 3 betting enough.

pt graph 8-2-08

Now maybe its just variance but I the graph makes it looks like I've learned how to stop the bleeding. Hand 2911 is the first hand of the session where I got my aggression back on.

It was another swingy day though. i was up $70 after a few hundred hands. I lost a buyin back after getting all in on the flop with over pair vs flush draw and then I played 3 hands really really horribly. the first two made me lose $100. I got too aggressive and lost $50 when i got check raised on a QT9 flop when holding AJ. for some reason I needed to shove and get called by QT. Need to reanalyze that hand.

The second big loss there was a badly played AQ I guess. I raised out of the BB to 7 after a button raise to 2. flop came A74. I led out and he min raised me. I shoved and of course he calls with AK.

The third hand I played really really horribly was my luckbox hand of the day after being on tilt from those other 2 hands. This all happened in a 5 minutes span by the way.

I raise from the BB to 3 after 2 limpers with AhQs. flop comes J63 all hearts. I bet 7 and they both call. Turn is 6s. Over $30 in the pot so I say "well I still have outs and fold equity." I shove and get called by both. One has me covered, the other only had $10 left. BOOM ACE ON THE RIVER. One guy had KcKs, other guy has 2s2h? So I won $70 back there and that got me focused again. I guess continuing to bet is a lot better than calling off there at least. So maybe this has better EV than I think it does. Will analyze this as well.

Now I paid more attention to what I was doing and made sure everything I did was done for a reason. It paid off and I ended up winning 137 for the day. Nice comeback.

I'm feeling good again about how I'm playing. I just need to keep focused and not let frustration overpower reason.

Didn't know you were posting again, Scott.

These hands look eerily familiar. Were you playing $50NL at Everest? I think I was the guy that called your AQ with QT when I flopped two-pair.

Post a Comment

  • NL = No Limit Holdem
  • PLO = Pot Limit Omaha
  • CP = Crazy Pineapple
  • TD = Triple Draw
  • UTG = Under the Gun (first to act)
  • MP = Middle Position
  • LP = Late Position
  • CO = CutOff (one before the button)

About me

  • I'm Scottwire
  • From NJ
  • Hi there. I started this blog mainly to keep track of how I'm doing playing poker as well as to vent, share my thoughts and feelings, and allow friends and family to follow along. Thanks to everyone following along whether I know you or not. About me - I am currently a web developer who is trying to become a successful Entrepreneur with my wife. We love to travel and are trying to become successful enough to do that as we please :) That's us in a nutshell.
My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates