Scottwire.com | Contact

Instant Bankroll - Start playing poker for free!

« Home | More work less play » | Limit vs NL Holdem » | Roller Coaster Ride of a week » | I just found all the good hands » | Where have all the good hands gone? » | A one and a two... » | I'm full (food) » | S A T U R D A Y Night » | Much better... » | Bang my head Part 2 » 

Wednesday, August 24, 2005 

The comeback kid

Ok so it is more like "playing crappy early on then finally not screwing around and am able to crawl out of a hole". Yesterday I was -65 after a couple hundred hands before pulling a beautiful swing after an hour and a half to be +35. I ended up giving 10 of that back but bonus money from UltimateBet made up for that.

So looking back at that last 10 days or so this seems to be a recurring theme. Start digging myself a hole and then having to climb out. I believe it was Mike Caro who said something like "Don't try to get back to even. Poker expectation is a long term play and you are even at the beginning of each hand." Now while this is true, it is a mental hump as well. How far ahead or behind you are is how you keep tabs on your play. Sometimes you make the correct plays and still end up behind.

I have done some reflection and I have realized that I am getting too paranoid when I first sit down. I always seem to think someone is making a move on me or that the open raise from the button is a blind steal. Rather than making a correct fold play, I seem to call down much more when I may be beat. Now I have this notion also in my head that if I start showing aggression early on and folding right away that people will start taking shots bluffing at me all the time. Perhaps I am taking concepts I've read and applying them incorrectly.

So I started reading Grinder's blog and read a post where he uses simulation software for a few rounds before he jumps on the real money tables. This gives him a good mindset going into the game and lets him work out the kinks so he can start fresh when jumping into the cash games. I really like this idea and am going to incorporate it into my routine. I am going to do a PSO promotion to get Poker Academy software and use that to also hopefully improve some areas of my game.

That's about it for now. Fantasy Football Draft is tonight so I'll post my team tomorrow. My team last year was so horrible. I'll make up for it this time. May the flop be with you.


  • NL = No Limit Holdem
  • PLO = Pot Limit Omaha
  • CP = Crazy Pineapple
  • TD = Triple Draw
  • UTG = Under the Gun (first to act)
  • MP = Middle Position
  • LP = Late Position
  • CO = CutOff (one before the button)

About me

  • I'm Scottwire
  • From NJ
  • Hi there. I started this blog mainly to keep track of how I'm doing playing poker as well as to vent, share my thoughts and feelings, and allow friends and family to follow along. Thanks to everyone following along whether I know you or not. About me - I am currently a web developer who is trying to become a successful Entrepreneur with my wife. We love to travel and are trying to become successful enough to do that as we please :) That's us in a nutshell.
My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates